observations on the subjects of money, happiness and retirement
Having advised pre-retired and retired clients for more than 30 years now and having studied financial planning for at least the same length of time I feel sufficiently qualified to give my observations on the subjects of money, happiness and retirement.
The first thing is that money doesn’t make you happy per se. Having enough money to enable you to do what you want, when you want and not having to worry about the cost is generally enough to make most people happy. Some of my happiest clients have relatively modest wealth and income yet they are extremely happy. Why is this? Well they generally have an abundance of wealth in non-monetary areas. Here are a few reasons why;
- Happily married for many years to a compatible spouse who happens to be their best friend and companion too.
- Harmonious relationships with their families especially their children and grandchildren.
- A wide circle of friends and acquaintances.
- Appreciating what they have got e.g. health, free time, hobbies, travel etc.
- Never taking anything for granted especially their health.
- Kind and thoughtful towards others.
- A positive attitude. Glass is always half full not half empty.
- Energetic and enthusiastic.
Based on my experience merely accumulating money for the sake of it will never make you happy. Having more money simply makes you more of the person you already are. So if you are already generous you will be even more generous if you become very wealthy. If on the other hand you are mean with money you will become even meaner the wealthier you become. Strange but true.
I am incredibly proud to have contributed to lives of our client by helping them plan for and then enjoy their retirements. Many of our clients now spend several months away on holiday each year simply enjoying themselves. It’s lovely to see such happy people every year for their annual reviews. They are a pleasure to deal with and are the main reason why I enjoy my work so much.
So if you are already retired and enjoying it congratulations to you. If on the other hand you have yet to achieve that retirement of your dreams do get in touch with us. We would love to help you on your journey.